HALL OF FAME INDUCTION
- Public nominations were open all year with a March 30 cutoff.
- 90 nominations were made.
- Lifetime Achievement Awards and Class of 2017 were chosen.
- 2017 Induction held at New York Yacht Club, Harbour Court on September 23 & 24.
- Event live streamed to including gatherings at Geneva Yacht Club and Larchmont Yacht Club.
- 2018 Induction to be held at Lauderdale Yacht Club on November 10 & 11.
STEM SAILING: LEARNING MATH & SCIENCE THROUGH SAILING
- Navigation and Science of Sailing curricula have been posted for free use by educators across the country.
- Teacher Academy, teaching math and science teachers how to sail held for 7 teachers who were required to develop curriculum for their classrooms.
- STEM Summer Bridge academic program was held for 20 students.
- 110 9th & 10th grade Anne Arundel County Public Schools (AACPS) Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) students participated in seven-week NSHOF Project Based Learning (PBL) Module sessions for which they receive academic credit.
- 109 9th & 10th grade AACPS STEM students participated in field trips to the NSHOF including a tour of United States Naval Academy Hydromechanics Laboratory and Crown Sailing Center
- Discussions and plans are underway to institute the STEM Sailing Program in schools in Newport, Norfolk, and Erie, Pennsylvania.
- 108 organizations are part of the STEM Sailing National Consortium. A newsletter of best practices and resources is distributed.
- Fifth Annual Marine and Maritime Career Fair for students, grades 7-12, held at Annapolis High School. Co-sponsored by Anne Arundel County Public Schools and Eastport Yacht Club Foundation.
ON SITE PROGRAMING
Free public display at the Sailing Center of boats including among others:
Australian Historical 18’ Skiff
Bull and Bear, Replica Sandbaggers
Fantasea, CSY 44
Pride of Baltimore II
Nielson Gumdrop 36
Classic Wooden Boat Rendezvous & Race
- Eighth Annual Classic Wooden Boat Rendezvous & Race was held September 15-18
In cooperation with Chesapeake Traditional Sailing Association. Twenty-one boats participated, including Australian Historical 18 Footers
Bull & Bear Sailing
- Bull and Bear have hosted 221 people for sailing, most of whom have never sailed before.
- Australian Historical 18 Footers/Bull & Bear Regatta held September 13-17.
Recovering Warrior Sailing Squadron
- Annapolis Spring Regatta, co-sponsored with United States Naval Academy, Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating, Connected Warrior Foundation, and Warrior Events, was held on April 22.
- Bay Head Spring Regatta, co-sponsored with Bay Head Yacht Club and Semper Fi Fund was held on June 10.
- Reunion for 50 participants was held May 19-21.
- Frances McElwain Wakeman Sportsmanship Trophy on display at NSHOF.
Outreach Program to African American Community
- Six sails through the summer were held with members of the community.
United States Sailboat Show
- In cooperation with the United States Sailboat Show, American Sailing Association and Beneteau USA, 185 people participated in a First Sail Workshop at the Spring Boat Show.
Tom Morris Library
- Reading room open to the public. There are now 3,500 items in the collection, a nearly 17% increase from last year.
- Partnership with Sailors for the Sea Clean Regatta certified.
- In cooperation with the Maryland Department of Natural Resources and the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, distribution of information regarding Saving the Bay has been set up at the NSHOF Sailing Center.
Sailing Resources Locator
- Interactive U.S. map of over 1,580 sailing programs state by state.
- A growing online collection of over 175sailing films and videos between two minutes and two hours, many of which are unavailable anywhere else. More videos in queue to go online soon. Videos were played 13,577 times for a total of 1509 hours watched, a 20% increase over last year.
- Debuted new online exhibition: “Sailing Covers from The New Yorker.”
- Sailors and Stories: U.S. Olympic Sailing Medalists, U.S. Paralympic Medalists, Rolex Yachtsman of the Year and Rolex Yachtswoman of the Year Recipients, Nathanael G.
- Herreshoff Trophy Winners and Adams Cup.
- Sailing in American Literature: Collection of sailing quotes from American writers such as Thoreau, Emerson, Twain, Barth, etc.
- Photographic Exhibitions: Virtual exhibition of the photographs of Daniel Forester, Onne van der Waal and Billy Black posted.
- Sailing in American Art: Virtual exhibition of sailing paintings from the National Gallery of Art and Sailing Covers from The New Yorker exhibition.
- Sailing in American Music: Virtual streaming of sailing in American music, curated by David Hildebrand, PhD.
Gowrie Group Yacht Club and Adams Cup Stories Project
- Collecting and enhancing yacht clubs’ stories from across the country.
- Collecting Adams Cup stories.
Tom Morris Library and Book Reviews
- Walter Cronkite’s sailing library collection is online.
- Additional collections have been received.
- STEM Sailing: Learning Math & Science through Sailing programs and reports.
- Learning Math & Science through Sailing National Consortium network and newsletters.
- Learning Math & Science through Sailing STEM 9th and 10th grade curricular template in use by schools around the country.
American Women in Sailing Story Project
- Postings of the America3; The Women’s Team, The Salty Sisters, Mary Patten, Adams Cup and WIMRA as part of the American Women in Sailing Story Project.
Sailing for Gold: Letters from Rio
- Reports by Gary Jobson from the 2016 Olympics.
Online Contributions and Sales
- Founding Members.
- Annual Giving.
- Building Capital and Morris Library Campaign.
- Planned Giving.
- Channel - SailingHallofFame - currently features dozens of videos with over 6,783 views totaling over 911 hours watched this year, more than double that of last year.
- Active “like” participation by over 3,945 fans, up 191 from last year.
- @sailinghall - has over 502 followers, a nearly 15% increase, with over 900 total tweets receiving 37,106 impressions.
- _sailinghalloffame_ - 371 followers; a 165% increase from last year.
YACHT CLUBS and CLASS ASSOCIATIONS
- Chesapeake Bay Bermuda 40 Rendezvous.
- Annapolis to Newport Race boats
- Annapolis Yacht Club Memorial Day.
- 2,100 copies of Hall of Famer Jim Kilroy’s book, Kialoa US 1: Dare to Win, have been distributed to junior sailing programs across the country for instructional and fundraising purposes.
- Citizens Advisory Committee meets.
|STEM Sailing; 10 skippers/crews, 10 boats:||1030 hours.|
|Bull & Bear Free Sailing; 45 skippers/crews/rigging & down-rigging:||1183 hours.|
|Classic Wooden Boat Rendezvous & Race; 14 for organization & RC:||179 hours.|
|Recovery Warrior Regattas; 52 for organization, skippers, crew & RC:||420 hours.|
|Sailboat Show; 35 for organization & manning display:||100 hours.|
|Induction; 6 for organization, production & fundraising:||58 hours.|
|Tom Morris Library: 1 librarian:||100 hours.|
|Office Support; 1 administrative assistant:||150 hours.|
|Web & Social Media: 1 administrator:||179 hours.|
|Legal Services; 1 attorney:||226 hours.|