Home | Go Sailing! | Get On Our List! | Support Us

PDF Print

burgee

Stories from the Annapolis Yacht Club

Annapolis Yacht Club
2 Compromise Street

Annapolis, MD 21401-1866
(410) 263-9279

Website: http://www.annapolisyc.com/

VISIT AYC'S VIDEOS PAGE


Founded as an informal canoe club in 1883, the Annapolis Yacht Club has built a tradition of excellence.  Our mission is to encourage and support a wide range of boating activities, and to provide and maintain a suitable clubhouse and associated facilities for the recreational and social use of its members.

 


 

ANNAPOLIS YACHT CLUB FOUNDATION BECOMES NSHOF FOUNDING MEMBER

From the AYC Foundation President:

The Annapolis Yacht Club Foundation is pleased to announce its decision to be a Founder of the National Sailing Hall of Fame in Annapolis. Our foundation looks forward to the National Sailing Hall of Fame enjoying much succes in the near future. We are pleased to be involved with your effort.

Michael R. Krissoff


History

 Video: Bridging Three Centuries: A Contemporary History of Annapolis Yacht Club.

 

Take a look at the people, the tradition and the camraderie that make up the community of Annapolis Yacht Club.

About 1 hour.

125 Years on the Water

1st AYC Clubhouse-1855-1887AYC beginnings were in 1883 as an informal canoe club. A building was constructed two years later on a pile of oyster shells at the foot of Duke of Gloucester Street, which, in 1886, became the Clubhouse for the formally organized Severn Boat Club. This oyster pile was rented from St. Mary’s Church and was next to a rickety wooden bridge across Spa Creek. In 1897 a new clubhouse was built and was enlarged in 1912.

Humble Beginnings

In 1904, the first records of meetings indicate a membership of 30. In 1910, the first wharfs were built, and the first club manager was hired in 1911 at a salary of $15 a month. Members began to acquire small sail boats and organize club regattas. These were uncomplicated affairs held on Memorial Day and Labor Day. Shell and canoe races started up Spa Creek at Old Woman Cove and ended at the Eastport Bridge. There were also swimming races and diving competitions. The club owned several single and double shells, two four-oared shells, and was given an eight-oared shell in 1911 by the US Naval Academy.

A Post-War Renewal

World War I and the depression slowed boating activities until the mid-30s. A hurricane damaged the clubhouse and the wharf was reduced to pilings in 1933 and it was difficult to keep the club’s quota of 100 resident members. By 1936, there seemed to be little interest by members in the club and changes were needed. With renewal in mind, in 1937 the Annapolis Yacht Club was incorporated and the first formal regatta (Annual) was held that year. The Fall Series first year was in 1940 with five boats competing. World War II interrupted organized racing, but in 1946 the Spring Series was started with three classes – 30 Square Meters, Stars and Chesapeake 20s. By 1948, Moths, Comets and Hamptons were also taking part. The Annapolis to Newport Race (Newport to Annapolis back then) started in 1947 and has been run every two years since. A dining room was added to the club in the late 1940s and in 1948, the first Smoking Lamp newsletter appeared as a single page mimeographed sheet.

The Junior Fleet

The junior fleet started in 1948, and the first junior trophy was presented in 1953. The first junior boat, Dolphins, were replaced by Penguins, which were next followed by 420s which the junior fleet still races.

Wednesday Night Races: An Annapolis Tradition

Wednesday Night Races were the brainchild of P/C Gaither Scott. After seeing the Wednesday Night Races at East Greenwich YC in Rhode Island in 1958, Scott inaugurated midweek racing at AYC in 1959. No race committee, no prizes, no scoring but there was a picnic supper after sailing. “S” boats, H-23s, 5.5 meters, Bermuda One Design and Rainbows raced, but interest waned in the mid-60s. To correct this, smaller classes of boats were invited and in 1965 35 boats entered the series. By 1967 112 boats were taking part.

Frostbite Racing

Frostbite racing began in the winter of 1962-1963. Seven Rainbows were the inaugural class with five short races a day, starting and finishing at the club. Gladiators joined Frostbite racing in the fall of 1963 and MORC made the third class in 1964. The first Hangover Bowl (New Year’s Day) was on Jan. 1, 1966.

A Need for Growth

By 1959, membership had risen to 1000 and a new club building was badly needed. This was opened in 1963, with the first deck left unfinished due to lack of funds. Frostbite and Wednesday Night Racing soon demanded more club social space, and the Skipjack Lounge was finished in 1969.

AYC Clubhouse-TodayThe land across the Eastport Bridge where the junior fleet building is now (Holden Property) was purchased in 1969. The junior fleet was established there and a new building for them was completed in 1995. In 1989, women were welcomed as members, and the White Rocks Marina property (now the Harborside Sailing Center) was added in 1990. The club’s first official one-design fleet, the J/22, was started in 1991 with a crane added to Harborside for launching of the boats. The clubhouse again underwent a major renovation in 1995.

More than a Club...

Today, AYC is at full membership (1600 regular members) with very active social, racing, and cruising programs.  Large international events such as the Star Class World Championship, Rolex International Women’s Keelboat Championship, and many North American championships are hosted every year at AYC. Harborside is filled with one design boats (J/22s, J/24s, Etchells, Stars, Melges 24) while the in-the-water boat slips are in high demand. AYC is known worldwide thanks to the members who are prominent in participating in, promoting, and organizing the sport of sailboat racing, as well as those who opt to leisurely cruise the waters of the Chesapeake and beyond.

BACK TO YACHT CLUB STORIES PAGE

 

 

 

 

 
Home
About Us
Hall of Fame
Education
Collections/Libraries
On-Site Programs
Sailors & Stories
Info/Contact/News
Contributors
Calendar
Search
Mid-Year Update

The Class of 2014

We are seeking
pictures & stories to
help paint a picture
of American Sailing.

Click here to email.

Thank you.


facebook-btn twitter-btn Instagram- @sailinghall US SAILING LOGO
donate_now
sunsail-discount


© 2014 National Sailing Hall of Fame, a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit Organization

facebook-btn            twitter-btn             Instagram-sailinghall            US SAILING LOGO